MES Small Grants
Guidelines for Student Small Grant Fund Applications from the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
(Spring 2023 application cycle)
Deadline: March 1, 2023
Download Application Form
- The grants support the work of Rutgers students interested in Middle Eastern Studies. Awards are competitive and based on need and the merit of the proposed research project. No more than $1,000 may be requested and often awards are not for the full amount requested. Payment will likely be made through payroll if grant recipient is an employee. Please consider this when designing your budget. Non-employee awardees will receive a check.
- Eligible applicants are faculty affiliates of Middle Eastern studies, graduate students whose research focuses on the Middle East and North Africa; and undergraduate juniors and sophomores with an interest and demonstrated study of the region. Undergraduate applicants need one reference from a faculty member. We will only request a letter from them if we deem it necessary.
- Eligible activities include:
• Expenses associated with research projects in Middle Eastern or North African countries as well as its diasporas during the summer or academic year.
• Participation in language training or other courses required for successful completion of future research.
• Participation in field schools, international service learning, or study abroad activities
• Other activities that demonstrably enhance the work and goals of Middle Eastern studies at Rutgers University.
- Preference will be given to those who have been active in MES-sponsored events and activities and who have demonstrated a commitment to the Center and its mission. Priority is also given to undergraduate majors and minors in Middle Eastern Studies.
- Awardees and amounts will be determined by a committee composed of MES affiliates, Executive Committee members, and the MES Director.
- Awardees will either submit a brief report on how they used the award, due within three months of the completion of the funded activity, but no later than July 1, or, will participate in a recorded workshop presenting their research findings in the semester following their award. The report or presentation will be posted on the MES website. Either is required for further awards from MES grants in the future.
- Martine Adams will assist you with the processing of payments. All regular SAS travel rules must be observed. For more information please consult http://www.rutravel.rutgers.edu/.
If you have any questions about the MES Fund or the application process, please email MES director Toby Jones: