Learning Goals for Majors
Majors will be able to demonstrate:
- language proficiency at the Intermediate Level (two years) or above in one of the Middle Eastern languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish);
- an interdisciplinary foundational knowledge of the languages and cultures of the Middle East; and
- an understanding of key themes in Middle Eastern cultures, history, and contemporary social, economic, and political issues.
Majors will be able to:
- engage in cross-cultural communication and understanding;
- analyze how stereotypes hinder intercultural understanding;
- think dynamically about the relationship between the United States and the third world; and
- initiate, research, and write a semester-length independent research paper.